8.31.2012

The Piano Teacher




The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee

"People can be so loathsome, don't you think?" she says. "If we aren't together in the future, please don't think of me with hatred. Think of me kindly or forget me. I always try to do that. Think with kindness and don't judge. And know the entire situation." "What on earth are you saying? Don't take such absurd leaps." He feels like she's punched him in the stomach, cannot feign nonchalance, but cannot say too, don't leave me.

"You won't even look at me!" she cried. "You won't give me even that. You've always been mean with your attention, so measured." She looked down at herself. She had dressed with care this morning, mindful of the impression she wanted to give: quiet, not reproachful, confident. This had translated into a knee-length navy cotton voile dress with covered buttons all down the front, a few decorative pleats: tailored, not fussy, freshly washed hair held back with a navy satin headband. She tamped down the word that kept rising to the surface of her consciousness: fool, fool.

He shakes her. He wants to bite her cheek, viciously, until flesh tears off and blood runs down his chin. He wants to devour her whole, until she feels the pain he has been feeling. The pain he caused her too.

No comments: